On Thu, 20 Jun 2019 19:18:22 +0200, Kai Peter wrote:

> > The bad thing about this, sometimes I have to use exclude
> > gentoo-sources
> > from things such as --depclean.  It's annoying but it's the only way I
> > could come up with to do this.
> >
> You can do an 'emerge --noreplace' - one time.

You can create a kernels set that means portage will never depclean them.
Add this to /etc/portage/sets.conf

[kernels]
class = portage.sets.dbapi.OwnerSet
world-candidate = False
files = /usr/src

Then add @kernels to /var/lib/portage/word_sets. This is a one-ff
operation, no need to remember to add options to commands or edit files.
Just unmerge the kernels manually when you want.

I use the same approach to keep multiple copies of gcc around:

[gcc]
class = portage.sets.dbapi.OwnerSet
world-candidate = False
files = /usr/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/gcc-bin

--
Neil Bothwick

Vital papers will demonstrate their vitality by moving to where you
can't find them.