I've reinstalled gentoo from the gentoo repository and now my power
button doesn't do a shutdown anymore.  What do I have to do to have it
issue a shutdown?  This is an openrc system.

I have this, but it doesn't work:

$ cat  /etc/acpi/events/powerbtn
event=button[ /]power.*
action=/sbin/poweroff

On a different gentoo system I have, I have just the one line, the
action line, in that file and the power-button works fine (whether
there's causation there or not, I have no idea :-) )

I generally do /not/ press the power button while in my window manager,
but first when I've logged off.  Since that wasn't working, I tried
inside my window manager ... I got a just a couple of lines that looked
like they came from shutdown(), but too few (couldn't read them).

Then, on startup, the filesystems needed fscking!!!