On Sun, 17 Nov 2019 11:21:18 +0100, n952162 wrote:

> (in fact, that's exactly the situation that I've been confronted with
> and have turned to this mailing list to help me with: X locked up, my
> power-button was unresponsive so I had to force it down (holding the
> power key down for 30 seconds), and on reboot TWO filesystems had to be
> rebuilt by fsck, with substantial loss of organization and of data
> (despite both being ext3/4 journaling filesystems - I just don't
> understand that!) )

Please don't top-post on this list.

Magic SysReq would probably have helped in those situations. ext3/4 only
journal metadata by default, you can specify a mount option to also
journal data but it impacts performance.

--
Neil Bothwick

Documentation: (n.) a novel sold with software, designed to entertain the
               operator during episodes of bugs or glitches.