Neil Bothwick wrote:
> On Sun, 17 Nov 2019 10:27:48 +0100, n952162 wrote:
>
>> There's a million ways a system can hang.  Acpi is a mechanism for
>> shipping kernel events to user space.  If user space isn't working, acpi
>> won't work.   I think.
> But if it's just X that is locked, then ACPI could be used to rescue the
> system in a less aggressive way than Magic SysReq.

That's why I was asking.  I've had to use Magic SysPeq a few times but
thought this would/might be a better option in most cases but maybe not
all.  I will say this, the magic works in every case I can recall so
far.  On occasion when I reboot, it does the fsck and all but nothing
appears to be lost.  Most of the time, it shuts down pretty clean.  I've
got to where when I do the sync part, I give it a minute or so to
finish.  That seems to give it time to sync and unmount cleanly.

As is the usual tho, this depends on the type of lockup I guess.

Dale

:-)  :-)