Grant Edwards wrote:
> On 2019-11-27, Dale <rdalek1...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Grant Edwards wrote:
>>> The TP-Link Archer C7 runs openwrt flawlessly:
>>>

>>> https://www.bestbuy.com/site/tp-link-archer-ac1750-dual-band-wi-fi-5-router-black/5889900.p?skuId=5889900
>>>
>>> A couple months ago when I was shopping, there was also a newer A7
>>> version.  That still requires a bleeding edge version of OpenWRT.
>>> So I opted for the older hardware just to be safe.
>> I was planning to stick with Linksys but I'm liking the one you
>> linked too. By the way, TP-Link has a store on ebay and it's cheaper
>> there.   Anyway, it supports IPv6 according to the manual
> IPv6 support is purely a function of the firmware.  OpenWRT supports
> IPv6 and will do so even if the OEM firmware does not.
>
>> and it has LEDs on the front it seems. Am I seeing LEDs or am I
>> seeing something else? Also, does it have some holes on the bottom
>> that allows wall mounting? I'm trying to find a picture of the
>> bottom but so far, no luck. I've found pics of everything else tho.
> Yes, there are LEDs on the front and wall-mount screw holes on the bottom:
>
>   https://photos.app.goo.gl/V3KL8ZTDPHBUWB726
>
> The C7 and A7 versions are slightly different, so pay attention to
> that.  The C7 is the older, more expensive version that's supported by
> the released, stable version of OpenWRT.  The A7 is newer and requires
> the latest "snapshot" version of OpenWRT.
>
> I can't vouch for the OEM firmware, since I immediately installed
> OpenWRT on mine.
>
> --
> Grant

I checked on my old router, Openwrt doesn't work on it.  So, new router
it is.

That C7 and A7 was throwing me for a bit.  The first ones I found were
A7 but after doing some searching, I realized they are different
hardware wise.  After that, I made sure which I was looking at.  I've
found a few C7s that range in price from around $50 to $75.  Some are
refurbed, some are open box.  As long as it works, I'm fine with that.

I am glad those are LEDs.  I may be able to see those better than the
ones on the Linksys.  Later on, I found a review site that had a pic of
the bottom.  I saw two holes on the side in the middle.  Given those
things tend to be light in weight, that should be fine.  I wish I could
wall mount my old Linksys.  I've thought about using zip ties or
something to wall mount it.  I don't have a large enough desk for all
this stuff.  I do like the speakers I built tho.  I sat my monitor on
it.  It thumps pretty good.  ;-)

Thanks for the info.  I think this has led me to a much better path and
product.  Having someone tell me they have one and it works, that takes
a lot of doubt out of it.

Thanks much.

Dale

:-)  :-)