Dale,

"Dale" <rdalek1...@gmail.com>, 06.01.2020, 09:29:

> Also, when looking for a drive to buy, what should one look at to see if
> it is a SMR drive?  While it may be OK for my backups, I'd like to avoid
> them on the drives inside my rig that are used for the OS or /home.  I
> dunno, just a gut thing.

it's not "just a gut thing". SMR drives are not meant for random
access writing; they write like a tape and read like a disk.

A while ago, one of my clients bought one of those things
to replace an older failing backup drive. The next night, the
backup took hours instead of minutes. No knowing what was inside
the box, I did some measurements and discovered that the first
few files were written quickly, then things got really slow,
with the rsync process waiting (state "D") for the drive to
finish.

tar-based backups went much quicker, though, which matches the
expected behaviour of SMR drives; the drive did not need to rewrite
many large areas due to many small changes, instead it only had to
write one large area due to one large change.

s.