Rich Freeman wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 6, 2020 at 9:18 AM Dale <rdalek1...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Rich Freeman wrote:
>>> Can you give a link - I'm not finding anything, and I'm a bit dubious
>>> of this claim, because they still are just hard drives.  These aren't
>>> SSDs and hard drives should not have any kind of erasure limit.
>>>
>>> Now, an SMR used for random writes is going to be a REALLY busy drive,
>>> so I could see the drive being subject to a lot more wear and tear.
>>> I'm just not aware of any kind of serious study.  And of course any
>>> particular model of hard drive can have reliability issues (just look
>>> up the various reliability studies).
>>>
>> I ran up on this article however, it is a short time frame.  Still might
>> be a interesting read tho.
>>
>> https://blogs.dropbox.com/tech/2019/07/smr-what-we-learned-in-our-first-year/
> That article makes no mention of reliability issues with SMR.  In
> fact, they mention that they want 40% of their storage to be on SMR by
> now.  Clearly they wouldn't be doing that if the drives failed
> frequently.
>
> Note that they did modify their software to have write patterns
> suitable for SMR.  That is the key here.  You absolutely have to
> engineer your application to be suitable for SMR, or only choose SMR
> if your application is already suitable.  You can't just expect these
> drives to perform remotely acceptably if you just throw random writes
> at them.

True but they likely have the drives that have it handled in software,
host managed I think they call it.  Another article I read was talking
about three different approaches to SMR.  The drive I have is likely
done on the drive itself, device managed, which is good for me.  The
ones in the article appear to manage the data transfer in software.  I
noticed they also use SSDs as sort of a temporary storage, if I
understood that correctly.  I think they did that to speed things up a bit.

>> I'm still a bit curious and somewhat untrusting of those things tho.
>> Regular hard drives go bad often enough as it is.  We don't need some
>> fancy unknown thing inserted just to add more issues.  Sort of reminds
>> me of the init thingy.  Each thing added is another failure point.
> Obviously they're relatively new, but they seem reliable enough.
> They're just not suitable for general purpose use.
>
>> I'm going to test my ebay skills and see if I can find some non-SMR
>> drives.  It sounds like some require some research to know if they are
>> or not.  :/
> That's pretty simple.  Find a drive that looks reasonable
> price/capacity/etc-wise.  Then just google the model number to confirm
> it isn't SMR.
>
> If you're in the US though you're probably best off shucking drives
> from Best Buy these days.  A drive that costs $350 as a bare drive
> will get sold for $180 in a USB enclosure.  I think it is just market
> segmentation.  They want to get top dollar from enterprise users, and
> they aren't going to be shucking drives from Best Buy bought on "limit
> 1 item per customer" sales.  By shucking I'm getting 12TB red drives
> for less than the cost of a 6TB green drive.  Just be aware that if
> your PSU is old you'll need to tape over some of the SATA power pins.
> New PSUs - even cheap ones - haven't given me any trouble.
>
> I'm sure there are more up-to-date guides as these days the drives are
> 12TB, but here is the gist of it:
> https://www.reddit.com/r/DataHoarder/comments/7fx0i0/wd_easystore_8tb_compendium/
>
> If you aren't in the US I have no idea whether equivalent deals are
> available.  That subreddit is a good place to go for info on cheap
> hard drives though.

I've been noticing that too.  Only bad thing is, I can't always tell
what is in the enclosure.  Sometimes the info is given but sometimes
not.  I've also seen a few people complain that what they got was not
the model of drive they thought.

I suspect one can get a adapter for that P/S connector.  I can't recall
when I got the P/S I currently have but it is a few years old.  I think
it's a ThermalTake or something like that.  I got to overclockers forum
where they list good ones.  I'm almost certain it has standard
connectors which may be a problem.  I've read about having to cover up a
pin or something but never seen one in person.

This is a educational thread. I didn't even know SMR was a thing until
this thread came along.

Dale

:-)  :-)