Rich Freeman wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 2, 2020 at 1:41 PM Dale <rdalek1...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Rich Freeman wrote:
>>> Out of curiosity, what model drive is it?  Is it by chance an SMR /
>>> archive drive?
>> Device Model:     ST8000AS0003-2HH188
>>
>> I recall reading about SMR but can't recall the details of what it is.
>> As far as I know, this is just a basic 8TB drive.
> This is an SMR drive.  You should DEFINITELY read up on what they are.
>
> For reads they're completely normal.  For sequential writes to unused
> space they're completely normal.  For random writes or overwrites they
> are significantly different from traditional hard drives.
>
> They work a bit like an SSD in the sense that blocks are arranged into
> larger erase regions.  Within a region blocks can only be written
> sequentially.  If you want to overwrite one block in the middle of a
> region, the drive will read the entire region into RAM, then write the
> entire region sequentially with the overwritten block to a new spot on
> the disk.  This is just like in an SSD where if try to overwrite a
> block in a region with any unTRIMmed blocks the drive must read the
> entire region, erase the region, and write the modified region.
>
> Except that in an SSD those extra reads/writes operate with SSD access
> times.  With an SMR drive those extra reads/writes operate with hard
> drive latencies, so they're MUCH more costly.
>
> For backup use they're usually fine, IF you're writing in a sequential
> file format that is appended to.  If you're using rsync to do your
> backups then that isn't what you're doing and you're probably paying a
> heavy penalty.  If you were doing incremental backups using
> tar/duplicity/whatever then you'd probably be fine.
>
> Some filesystems might be optimized for these drives to reduce the
> amount of overwriting in place.  I haven't looked into it.  I'd expect
> a log-based filesystem to work fairly well, though those can have high
> levels of fragmentation which is better suited for SSD than SMR.
>
> These drives all have fairly active firmware that manages this special
> overwrite process so that they can be used with operating systems that
> are naive to how they work.  I wouldn't be surprised if this is what
> is causing the drive to be active after you unmount it.  In theory it
> should be harmless to power it off.  However, leaving it powered on
> probably will improve its performance as it can take care of any
> garbage collection before the next time you use it.  If whatever
> journal it is using to speed things up gets full then you'll feel the
> full brunt of any write penalties until it is flushed.
>
> You might want to seriously consider changing to a backup format that
> just creates big tail-appended files containing incremental changes.
> Something like rsync that just outputs bazillions of little files is
> going to create lots of random writes when things change, vs
> consolidating all those changes into one file that just grows at the
> [...]

I had no idea this was that type of drive.  I wonder if any of my other
drives are this type as well.  If it matters, I use ext4 on my drives,
except /boot, but I've thought about using something that is also
compatible with windoze, just in case I need to copy some things to
someone else's system.  Thing is, I'm not real big on those file systems
since I lose some info such as permissions and all.  Does my using ext4
change this any?  Better or worse?

Should I change the mounting options for this drive?  I've read some
people use certain options for SSD and they are needed.  This is the
options being used according to mount:

/dev/sdj1 on /run/media/dale/8tb-backup type ext4
(rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,uhelper=udisks2)

That I guess is the default way KDE/udisks/etc does it.

One other question, what should I look for to avoid these types of
drives?  I'll go back and look but I don't recall it saying anything
about this.  I'm also trying to figure out if this is a good thing or not.

Thanks much for the info.  I'll read this one again shortly. Lot of info
to absorb.

Dale

:-)  :-)