Hi Mark,
    was your old version Win10 PRO" as well? - as far as I know a reinstall will only validate if the hardware as recorded at MS mostly matches and its the same version.  Cloning via dd, then running through the re-validation checks, then making changes in small steps is the only way I have been able to make it work despite what is written in the link below.

Also check out: https://www.techrepublic.com/article/windows-10-will-microsoft-charge-you-if-you-need-to-reinstall/

BillK