On 2020-04-07, Michael <confabul...@kintzios.com> wrote:
> On Tuesday, 7 April 2020 05:55:06 BST J. Roeleveld wrote:
>> >
>> > Are you often on the phone at those times?  May it be poor filtering?
>> >
>> > At my last residence - also "in the sticks", LOL - we had to give up on
>> > DSL completely, because 6 times out of 10 when we got a phone call the
>> > internet dropped.  Seriously.  We're not proud to support the Comcast
>> > monopoly, but what a difference.
>>
>> This is likely caused by NOT having a filter for every device.
>>
>> Longer version:
>>
>> DSL requires a splitter/filter between the wall-socket (where the phone
>> normally plugs in) and the DSL modem. It also has a 2nd connection for the
>> phone.
>
> It is not the ADSL modem which requires the filter, but the analogue
> telephone.

My experience with multiple different installations is that lack of a
filter can pretty much kill the ADSL signal and redner the DSL mode
useless.

> The filter cuts out audible frequencies so you can't hear them
> when you're making a call.

In my experience, it often also prevents the phones and connected
lines from presenting such a screwed up impedance to the DSL signal
that DSL stops working.

--
Grant