On 7 April 2020 21:40:56 CEST, Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwa...@gmail.com> wrote:
>On 2020-04-07, Michael <confabul...@kintzios.com> wrote:

>filtering?

>up on
>the
>Comcast
>>>
>>> This is likely caused by NOT having a filter for every device.
>>>
>>> Longer version:
>>>
>>> DSL requires a splitter/filter between the wall-socket (where the
>phone
>>> normally plugs in) and the DSL modem. It also has a 2nd connection
>for the
>>> phone.
>>
>> It is not the ADSL modem which requires the filter, but the analogue
>> telephone.
>
>My experience with multiple different installations is that lack of a
>filter can pretty much kill the ADSL signal and redner the DSL mode
>useless.
>

>> The filter cuts out audible frequencies so you can't hear them
>> when you're making a call.
>
>In my experience, it often also prevents the phones and connected
>lines from presenting such a screwed up impedance to the DSL signal
>that DSL stops working.
>
>--
>Grant

The only time I have seen DSL work without a filter is when the modem is
connected directly to the incoming port and no analog device can be connected
anywhere in the line.

That location gets 60meg down and 20meg up.

I am also 100รท certain noone can connect an analog phone as there is no plug
available.

Reason why I said a filter is needed everywhere is because I have seen
locations where the ADSL router was behind a filter, but the phone, connected
to a different port, was not behind a filter.
The occupant of that house were quick to blame the router and ISP, but had
difficulty realising the consistency of the connection dropping as soon as
someone picked up the phone or the phone starting to ring.

--
Joost