On Thu, Apr 23, 2020 at 1:15 PM Caveman Al Toraboran <
toraboracave...@protonmail.com> wrote:

> On Wednesday, April 22, 2020 9:34 PM, Michael Orlitzky <m...@gentoo.org>
> wrote:
>
> > Dependency resolution is indeed a (formally) hard problem. Solving the
> > traveling salesman problem is also hard. Solving the traveling salesman
> > problem while being punched in the face is even harder. When I complain
> > about portage being slow, what I mean is that I want to stop being
> > punched in the face so that I can concentrate all of my energy on the
> > underlying hard problem.
>
> any reason why is it a traveling salesman problem,
> and not just a tree walk with heuristics to handle
> exceptions (e.g. cycles)?

You can see more information about the portage dependency solver situation
with this mailing list post:

https://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-dev/message/40f9585ba6a9850eb82853d945d608eb

The github repository in question is here:
https://github.com/HyVar/gentoo_to_mspl/

Note: I have nothing to do with this project, I just remembered the mailing
list post, and thought it was a good idea.