On 2020-04-30 22:21, Andrea Conti wrote:
It won't, as long as it recognizes it as a protective MBR. Which is the right thing to do, as a disk with a protective MBR and no valid GPT is inherently broken.

True. It was more my intention to depict what the system "should" do in order to access the file system.

... or just bypass the partition table altogether. The filesystem starts at sector 1, i.e. 1*512B, so:

mount -o ro,offset=512 /dev/sdb /mnt/xxx

Interesting, thanks. I was initially considering something like this myself, but after a cursory check of the manual, I was under the assumption that 'offset' was only valid with loop devices and dismissed that solution.

Turns out if you mount a drive like this, the kernel uses a loop device in the background and you can use the 'offset' option with block devices as well. I feel the documentation could be improved here.

--
Wolf