Am 05.10.20 um 16:57 schrieb Rich Freeman:

> If you're doing software RAID or just individual disks, then you're
> probably going to go into the controller and basically configure that
> disk as standalone, or as a 1-disk "RAID".  That will make it appear
> to the OS, and then you can do whatever you want with it at the OS
> level (stick a filesystem on it, put it in a RAID/lvm, whatever).
>
> I find this sort of thing really annoying.

Same here! ;-)

> I prefer HBAs that just do
> IT mode or equivalent - acting as a dumb HBA and passing all the
> drives through to the OS.  It isn't that it doesn't work - it is just
> that you're now married to that HBA card vendor and if anything
> happens to the card you have to replace it with something compatible
> and reconfigure it using their software/etc, or else all your data is
> unreadable.  Even if you have backups it isn't something you want to
> just have to deal with if you're talking about a lot of data.

Yep.

So my issue seems to be: non-working arcconf doesn't let me "enable"
that one drive.

I *might* consider booting up the older Suse OS (still somewhere as
well) via the flaky old Java-KVM and try things there.

The server is ~600kms away, so my possibilities with Live-USB-sticks etc
are limited right now.