Grant Edwards wrote:

>>> Well, grub2 shows the latest change.  Plain grub shows older changes.
>>> Most things in plain grub shows a date of April 2019.  Things in grub2
>>> are 2013 except for grub.cfg which shows June 2020.  That is likely
>>> about the time I rebuilt my last kernel, or somewhere close to that
>>> anyway.  Sort of confusing.
>>>
>>> Just wondering if leaving that alone may be best.  ;-)
>> Rename one of the directories and see if you can still boot :)
> That may not be a valid test. If grub is using a blocklist to locate
> secondary files, renaming the directory that contains those files
> won't bother grub at all. Even rm'ing the files and directory might
> not cause problems until the disk blocks of interest get reused by new
> files.
>
> --
> Grant

Great.  I don't know if I can remove them and boot normal or not.  :/  I
guess I'll leave them for now.  Maybe I can create a chroot and see what
it looks like after I install grub2???  I got equery to list the files
grub installs but it doesn't show anything being put in /boot.  I
wonder, if I remove all but grub.cfg, would installing it again, like
after a kernel upgrade, would install what is needed again???

Dale

:-)  :-)