Frank Steinmetzger wrote:
> Am Sun, Dec 20, 2020 at 06:20:28PM -0600 schrieb Dale:
>> Howdy,
>>
>> Somewhat related.  I googled and it appears I can hook a NAS to my
>> router and share it there.  The router is 1GB, it has yellow ports.  Is
>> it true that I can hook a NAS to the router?
> Maybe they meant that the router itself has NAS features. This is common for
> not-too-simple models. You can hook up an external drive and the router has
> the ability to share it in the network via samba or ftp or some such.

That's what it looked like in the picture.  It said to plug the NAS into
a ethernet port and it would be shared.  It makes sense but I didn't
know that until I read it.  I guess it is like my printer.  Whether
hooked up wireless or with a ethernet port, it is shared with anything
hooked to the router.  If all that works like I think, yeppie!

>> I'd assume it can be shared with anything connected to the router, even my
>> cell phone if needed.
> If there is a client on the phone that can access it, sure. After all, it's
> just a server using a certain protocol.
>
>> Also, I'm looking at a new network card for my PC.  With the new much
>> faster internet coming soon, I need a faster network card.
> Your PC isn't that old, AFAIR. The times of mainboards that only have 100
> ethernet should be a thing of the past.

Computer isn't to old but the on board ethernet was flaky last I tried
it.  I disabled it and used the network card from my old system, which
had the same problem of a not so stable on mobo network.  It's a 100MB
version.  I think it is a large B.  Since it is a old card, I want to
upgrade to a faster one.  Until now, I never needed one.  I never had
anything fast enough to need what I have now actually.  ;-)

>> Router is ready, puter isn't.  I found this, sorry for the caps but copy
>> and paste.  INTEL GIGABIT DUAL PORT NETWORK ADAPTER PCIe 424RR i350 1GB.
>> I found a site that talks about NAS and network cards.  According to the
>> article, this should be a very reliable card and just works.  It has two
>> ports.  I know I need one to hook to the router.  Would that second port
>> cause me any grief?  Result in conflicts or something?
> I have a network card for a second port in my PC. Never needed it yet, but
> it's nice to have. I usually use the onboard network to connect to my
> router. When I removed the GPU for a while, the PCI ids of the network cards
> shifted by one, so I had to adjust dhcp setup. So much for enp3s0 being
> always the same.
>
>> I been using Realtek but article claims these are better.
> Intel cards do more stuff in hardware, relieving the CPU of some load.
> Realteks rely on your CPU to do that. That's why they're not very popuplar
> among network experts. But that is only relevant if you do heavy network
> stuff like routing, switching and whatnot for other devices. Both my PC's
> network ports are realteks and they also just work and give me full gigabit
> bandwidth.

I wasn't aware of that.  Reminds me of those old winmodems.  I'll likely
get the Intel one.  If needed, I can just not use the 2nd port I guess
and not enable it until I do need it, if ever.  Price isn't to bad.

I'm still waiting on a time frame of when the new internet will get
here.  It may be months, maybe even a year but right now, we don't know
since the people putting it out here don't know either.  The sooner the
better in my book tho.

Dale

:-)  :-)