antlists wrote:

> I think my router has 4 yellow and 1 red port. The yellow ports are, i
> guess, just ordinary switch/hub ports. The red port, I know, is the
> wan port so I guess it's firewalled and all that stuff. I know I'm not
> supposed to connect a yellow port to the internet wall-box, and I
> guess doing so might well not even work ...
>
>>> Maybe they meant that the router itself has NAS features. This is
>>> common for
>>> not-too-simple models. You can hook up an external drive and the
>>> router has
>>> the ability to share it in the network via samba or ftp or some such.
>>>
>> That's what it looked like in the picture.  It said to plug the NAS into
>> a ethernet port and it would be shared.  It makes sense but I didn't
>> know that until I read it.  I guess it is like my printer.  Whether
>> hooked up wireless or with a ethernet port, it is shared with anything
>> hooked to the router.  If all that works like I think, yeppie!
>>
> You're confusing an external drive, and a NAS. Two completely
> different things. My router has a USB port, to which I can connect an
> external drive. That *should* then appear on my network as a NAS
> drive. In other words, all the NAS smarts are in the router.
>
> You're talking about plugging a NAS into an ethernet port, where all
> the NAS smarts are in the NAS, and that should work with ANY
> hub/switch/router.
>
> Cheers,
> Wol

Sorry for the delay.  AT&T decided that the other day was as good a time
as any to let the DSL go down for a few days.  AT&T made a huge mistake
letting the whole community out here sit for days without service.  With
the new much faster and economical service coming, anyone who might have
stayed with AT&T is now ready to switch.  Bad thing is, almost every one
out here depends on the internet to watch the weather and we had some
storms come through overnight with no way to know what was coming.  I
just hid under the covers.  Way to go AT&T.  You got a nice shovel, keep
digging.  ROFL

My router has yellow connectors for routing and a blue connector going
to the internet/WAN/whatever.  My modem is similar except it is green
for the telephone line.  If I recall correctly all of those are supposed
to be GB connectors, not that the modem could ever do that over the
internet but it can between devices hooked to it.  I disabled the wi-fi
and such on the modem, not enough range anyway.  Step away 30 feet or
so, no signal.

My router also has two USB plugs for sharing external hard drives or USB
sticks.  I'm not talking about that because I don't like hooking a drive
up over USB.  It never works well for some reason.  According to the
link below, I hook the NAS up to the router via ethernet and it is
available for all devices connected to the router.  I'd guess that I can
also make it accessible to the internet to but I doubt I'll do that.  If
it is set that way by default, I'll google and find out how to disable
that. Linky:

https://www.linksys.com/us/support-article?articleNum=137552

I have a TP-Link router but figure it will work the same.  I don't think
I was to clear on the connection in earlier message.  It was in my brain
but didn't make it to the keyboard.  lol

Dale

:-)  :-)

P. S. Now to catch up on all the emails.  O_O