On 2/3/21 1:48 PM, tastytea wrote:
You could install Gentoo into a directory without the build tools, but you would have to install packages and update them from a full Gentoo installation outside that directory. I've used that technique in my Docker experiments.[1]

emerge --root=/workdir sys-apps/busybox will install busybox and all build-time dependencies into /workdir.

Intriguing.

Thank you for that pointer.

That actually is close to what I'm messing with.  UML+NFS root

I could probably hack up with something where calls to emerge actually reach out to the full host and runs emerge with the proper --root.

[1] <https://schlomp.space/tastytea/docker-images/src/branch/main/gentoo-base.Dockerfile>

$ReadingList++

--
Grant. . . .