On Tue, 31 Aug 2021 14:21:35 -0400, Rich Freeman wrote:

> > If you are multibooting frequently and getting into the UEFI boot
> > menu to change the boot order or running efibootmgr is too much
> > hassle, then a 3rd party boot manager will be useful.  Your choice of
> > GRUB, rEFInd, systemd-boot, syslinux, EFI executable image will be
> > installed and loaded/run by the UEFI firwmare from the ESP, with
> > which in turn you will select and load your desired OS.
> >

> So, which (if any) of these options supports either:
>
> 1. An EFI partition plus /boot on zfs (with no limitations on pool
> config, ie it can be a root pool).
> 2. An EFI partition that contains everything.
>
> If I want to use grub+EFI with a zfs root it sounds like I'd need TWO
> boot partitions - an EFI partition (FAT32), and a /boot partition
> (anything, but if ZFS it needs to have controlled features).  That
> seems even more messy than what I'm doing now.

systemd-boot and refind both support everything on EFI. I am pretty sure
GRUB does too, but I have no reason to use GRUB with EFI. My setup on
this box is /boot on FAT32 and / (and everything else) on btrfs. I've
also used the same setup with ZFS.

--
Neil Bothwick

If a book about failures doesn't sell, is it a success?