On Tuesday, 31 August 2021 20:54:14 BST Rich Freeman wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 31, 2021 at 3:44 PM Michael <confabul...@kintzios.com> wrote:
> > Please beware, I have not used zfs to date, only btrfs, so the above
> > merely
> > reflects my understanding rather than in depth experience of the
> > difficulty in managing such a setup.
>
> To save you digging through the thread, the issue with zfs is that it
> adds new features over time, and grub isn't necessarily compatible
> with all of them.  You can control which features are enabled on-disk
> for compatibility, but grub doesn't do a great job documenting which
> features are/aren't supported in any particular version.  So, it is a
> bit of a guessing game.
>
> It has been pointed out that there are various guides online, but:
>
> 1. They don't all say the exact same thing.
> 2. They aren't official upstream docs.
> 3. They rarely specify what version of grub they're talking about.
>
> The typical solution is to either use very conservative settings for
> your root partition (which isn't ideal from a zfs standpoint), or have
> a separate /boot pool which means that you don't have to encumber the
> rest of the system with whatever grub's limitations might be.  Then
> you just never update that partition and it shouldn't break.  That
> basically is no different than just having /boot on ext4 or vfat or
> whatever.  With this solution you also can't just freely resize /boot
> the way you could if it were part of the pool.

Yes, I understood this much, although I haven't red the various online guides
you refer to above.

Is there some particular need to resize boot?  Is there even a need to have a
pool for it?  It seems to me having a stand alone simple VFAT partition for /
boot which doubles up as ESP with a /boot/EFI subdirectory will do the job,
although I understand not all use cases are as simplistic as what I envisage
here.