Howdy,

I seem to have ran into a road block.  To get a clean path for emerge
recently, I had to unmerge a few packages.  I removed Kicad, libreoffice
and a few others.  Some of them I could add back with no problem.  I
just emerged them and off it went.  I'm having trouble with libreoffice
but I think it is a compile failure so I may just go back to a older
version.  The one I can't get around is Kicad.  When I run emerge the
first time, I get this:

root@fireball / # emerge -auDN world

Calculating dependencies... done!

The following USE changes are necessary to proceed:
 (see "package.use" in the portage(5) man page for more details)
# required by sci-libs/vtk-9.0.3-r4::gentoo
# required by sci-libs/opencascade-7.5.2-r5::gentoo[vtk]
# required by sci-electronics/kicad-5.1.12-r2::gentoo
# required by sci-electronics/kicad-symbols-5.1.12::gentoo
# required by sci-electronics/kicad-meta-5.1.12::gentoo
# required by @selected
# required by @world (argument)
=sci-libs/hdf5-1.10.5-r1 -mpi
#
>=sci-libs/vtk-9.0.3-r4 mpi

Would you like to add these changes to your config files? [Yes/No] n
root@fireball / #

I do my file edits manually so I go make the change it wants and try
again with the same command.

root@fireball / # emerge -auDN world

Calculating dependencies... done!

The following USE changes are necessary to proceed:
 (see "package.use" in the portage(5) man page for more details)
# required by sci-libs/vtk-9.0.3-r4::gentoo
# required by sci-libs/opencascade-7.5.2-r5::gentoo[vtk]
# required by sci-electronics/kicad-5.1.12-r2::gentoo
# required by sci-electronics/kicad-symbols-5.1.12::gentoo
# required by sci-electronics/kicad-meta-5.1.12::gentoo
# required by @selected
# required by @world (argument)
=sci-libs/hdf5-1.10.5-r1 mpi
#
>=sci-libs/vtk-9.0.3-r4 -mpi

Would you like to add these changes to your config files? [Yes/No] n
root@fireball / #

Each time it just reverses the recommended settings.  I've been dealing
with this for a couple days now.  I've tried changing settings on the
packages that are pulling it in and anything else I can think of but so
far, this is as close I've got to it being able to update.

Does someone have their emerge decoder ring handy?  I just can't figure
out what changes to make to get past this.  Once this is done, I'll
start hammering on libreoffice.

Thanks.

Dale

:-)  :-)