On 17/02/2022 07:42, Dale wrote:
I also commented out as much as I could in
package.use, the things I'd tried previously.  Now it has a clean path
to upgrade.

Is package.use a file or a directory? If it's a file, convert it to a directory (you can just put the existing package.use file in the new directory).

Then make sure every time you add new use flags they're either in a file dedicated to a particular package, or they're in a dated file and refer to particular package versions. That dated file, when etc-update wants to update package.use, I just rename its temporary file into a proper dated file, rather than let it mess with a file it's chosen at random.

That way, you can delete packages you no longer use, clear out old package/use combos, and generally keep things tidy.

And when you're trying to fix something, that all goes in one file you can ditch when it's all gone wrong :-)

Cheers,
Wol