Am 20.02.22 um 16:18 schrieb Wols Lists:
On 20/02/2022 14:54, Arve Barsnes wrote:
On Sun, 20 Feb 2022 at 15:40, Dr Rainer Woitok<rainer.woi...@gmail.com>  wrote:
But if I understand the "emerge" manual page correctly, "--changed-deps"
causes a rebuild of a package,  if one of its  dependencies has been re-
build, even though the package does not require the newer version of the
dependency.  So does it really make sense  to have this option hardcoded
in a script?   Or does it just cause  plenty of package rebuilds without
any real effect?  Likewise, what about "--deep"?  Should I keep it?
"--deep" seems like a good idea, to minimise the chance of trouble,
but "--changed-deps" does indeed seem excessive.

I also have "--oneshot" in my updates, although I'm not sure if this
actually makes a difference on a world update.

Oneshot just stops stuff being added by default to the world file, so on an update it'll have no effect whatsoever.

I also have "--backtrack=100" to minimise the risk of portage not
being able to find an upgrade path for some troublesome package. Just
as "--deep" it will add to the time portage needs to calculate what
packages to update, but it feels like I've had less instances of
upgrade path troubles since adding it to my regular world update
command.

:-) yes it seems most of my problems get solved by increasing backtrack so maybe I ought to do that too ...

What I'd also like is an option --dont-stop. Similar to keep-going, it would kick in earlier. Keep-going only kicks in once the real emerge is running. What I would like with dont-stop is if the dependency calculation gives up, it would start emerging whatever it's found so far. I've found when things really go pear-shaped updating a system for the first time in yonks, looking at and updating what's updateable enables the next attempt to get a little further, etc etc, until suddenly everything updates.

So basically, dont-stop would update everything it can.

Cheers,
Wol

When running an update after a long long time my approach is as follows:

emerge -av --depclean <every huge program which will be updated anyway. Stuff like firefox, thunderbird, etc.>

emerge -a --depclean --with-bdeps=n

only then when there are as few programs installed as possible I run
emerge --sync

emerge -Dua --reinstall changed-use @world

maybe I have to deal with trouble here

dispatch-conf

emerge -a --depclean --with-bdeps=y
--with-bdeps=y shouldn`t do anything

revdep-rebuild -i -- --ask

glsa-check -t all

Maybe there is a better way or I've missed some new ways of updating.

Regards