Am 21.02.2022 um 22:48 schrieb Neil Bothwick:
On Mon, 21 Feb 2022 22:26:30 +0100, hitachi303 wrote:

When running an update after a long long time my approach is as follows:

emerge -av --depclean <every huge program which will be updated anyway.
Stuff like firefox, thunderbird, etc.>

You don't need to unmerge them, just add --exclude "firefox thunderbird
etc" to your emerge command.

I have never used --exclude before. I'll try it out soon. I unmerge them so that in the next step --depclean --with-bdeps=n will also get rid of all dependencies and build-time dependencies.

emerge -a --depclean --with-bdeps=n

only then when there are as few programs installed as possible I run
emerge --sync

emerge -Dua --reinstall changed-use @world

If it's been a while, it may be easier to update @system first.

Most likely the first steps will be eselect news read and emerge -a1 portage
I have never been to lucky with @system. Often I do have more problems to update @system than to update @world. Sometimes I think that @system contains atoms which do not belong there. Might be a feeling and I never looked into it.

maybe I have to deal with trouble here

dispatch-conf

emerge -a --depclean --with-bdeps=y
--with-bdeps=y shouldn`t do anything

revdep-rebuild -i -- --ask

glsa-check -t all

You can run this straight after syncing, it may mean you want to update
affected programs before doing the rest of @world.

Your suggestion seems to be a better way. I'll change that.

Maybe there is a better way or I've missed some new ways of updating.