On 6/16/22 12:10, Peter Humphrey wrote:

Having spent several hours at this today, I've concluded that the problem is
caused by the Startpage add-on to Firefox. Specifically, startpage 1.3 and
Firefox 71.10. Early in the stepwise setting everything up, I started Firefox,
set its typefaces and so on, then installed Startpage. The sound system
stopped working instantly. I removed Startpage and the sound came back. A
reboot confirmed that no lasting damage had been done. So, I'm now using 'EU
Startpage - Unofficial', which seems to working well so far.

It's really weird that a Firefox add-on would cause system-wide sound to stop working!

Anyway, glad that you figured it out

Regards,
Julien