On 7/7/22 21:50, Dale wrote:
the...@sys-concept.com wrote:
On 7/7/22 21:28, Dale wrote:
the...@sys-concept.com wrote:
On 7/7/22 20:23, Dale wrote:
the...@sys-concept.com wrote:
After update to new chrome browser "google-chrome-103.0.5060"
A popup shows up:

"choose password for new keyring"

No explanation what is it, how to change it etc.  Is it needed?

Was it discuss before?

I don't use Chrome but google found this.

https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?t=312289

This may help too.

https://superuser.com/questions/890150/completely-stop-gnome-keyring-popups

Does one of those help?  They seem to address the problem in slightly
different ways.

Dale

:-)  :-)

Thanks,  there is a lot of information how to by-pass it but very
little explanation which application request it or why is it there.

One thing I read makes it sound like it is for a built in password
remembering tool. I know Firefox and Seamonkey has the same but I
disable those since I use BitWarden anyway.  One would think there would
be a setting in preferences to just disable all that.  I suspect few use
them given the popularity of LastPass, BitWarden and other tools that
are much more secure and portable.  Maybe looking for a password tool
setting would help.  I tried Chrome ages ago, didn't like it at all.
That was several years ago so I'm clueless on it now.  Just thought
those suggestions might help.

Dale

:-)  :-)

Starting chrome with "--password-store=basic" solved the problem.

You found a solution that works.  That's great.  Now you can get back to
doing more important things.  ;-)

Dale

:-)  :-)

By upgrading one of my system, I've just noticed this behaviour is enforced (I
think) by new package that was pulled by emerge:
[ebuild  N    ] gnome-base/gnome-keyring-42.1  USE="pam ssh-agent (-selinux)
-systemd -test"
Upgrading just "chrome" did not ask me for any keyring password.

I don't use gnome, I use XFCE but I guess one of the package pull this as a
dependency.