Am Fri, Aug 19, 2022 at 06:26:14AM +0200 schrieb David Haller:
> Hello,
>
> On Thu, 18 Aug 2022, Dale wrote:
> >Rich Freeman wrote:

> >> 10 TB = 9.09495 TiB.  You aren't missing much of anything.
> [..]
> Also, if you're using ext2/3/4, there's the preset, i.e. if you're
> rather sure about what kind of data is going to be on there, you
> can tune it so that it reserves more or less place for metadata like
> inodes, which can be another bit.

When I format a partition (and I usually use ext4, with some f2fs mingled in
on flash bashed devices), I always set the inode count myself, because the
default was always much too high. Like 15 m on a 40 GiB partition or so. My
arch root partition has 2 m inodes in total, 34 % of which are in use for a
full-fledged KDE setup. That’s sufficient.

On Gentoo, I might give it some more for the ever-growing portage directory.
But even a few percent on a 10 TB drive amount to many gigabytes.

--
Grüße | Greetings | Salut | Qapla’
Please do not share anything from, with or about me on any social network.

A hammer is a wonderful tool,
but it is plain unsuitable for cleaning windows.  (SelfHTML forum)