On Thu, Aug 25, 2022 at 4:59 PM Dale <rdalek1...@gmail.com> wrote:
<SNIP>
> I may do some mobo hunting shortly.  See what little thing I can buy
> that is powerful enough.  I don't think a Raspberry Pi is enough.  It
> gets close tho.  Biggest thing, I'd need a lot of SATA ports.  LOTS of
> them.

Granted, I had a couple of old cases which lowered the cost but
I went to a local computer store and bought used motherboards
that came with processors and memory. They were both Core i7
but I paid only about $75 each. I needed power supplies and hard drives
so each machine ended up around $350 or so by the time I was done.
Each has 2 4TB drives for storage and a 1TB drive for the OS. A lot
of used motherboards have on-board VGA and Gb/S networking.

These are TrueNAS machines, FreeBSD not Linux, but they have
a Linux version now if that makes you more comfortable.

I'd stick with AMD64 as it's better tested and I don't think you'll
get the network throughput you need to be fast with a Raspberry Pi