On Sunday, 5 March 2023 18:41:10 GMT Dale wrote:
> Howdy,
>
> I use Surfshark and every once in a while, my VPN loses its connection.
> I sent the info from messages to Surfshark but the info they sent back
> on how to set the nameserver info doesn't really work with Gentoo.  I
> suspect they are used to systemd stuff.  Anyway, I tried to follow in a
> more Gentoo way but it still didn't work.  Then I googled, searched the
> Gentoo wiki and tried some of those things, still refuses to use the
> manually entered nameserver.  I've tried resolv.conf, resolvconf.conf
> and resolv.conf-tun0.sv.  I installed openresolv to see if that would
> help.  Nope.

AFAIR, you're meant to pull down from the openvpn server the DNS resolvers
you're meant to use with their service, unless you have your own reasons for
wanting to override these and set up your own DNS resolvers.  Have you looked
in /etc/openvpn/ for a suitable setting in the configuration file?  I'm sure
it will be set to automatically pull down the DNS resolvers and the Up script
will set these up for your system when you start openvpn.

> This is what I got from Surfshark:
> > I would recommend changing the DNS addresses on your Linux device. You
> > can simply do that by following the steps below.
> >
> > First, you need to open the terminal with the CTRL + ALT + T
> > combination and type in the following commands:
> > sudo rm -r /etc/resolv.conf
> > sudo nano /etc/resolv.conf

Normally, you would not have to do this manually.  The Up script will enter
the resolver IP addresses in your resolv.conf.  If it doesn't, then check your
configuration and your openvpn script.