On 06/03/2023 11:08, Peter Humphrey wrote:
On Monday, 6 March 2023 10:56:37 GMT Wols Lists wrote:
On 06/03/2023 10:06, Michael wrote:

I suspect the behaviour you noticed is related to FF functionality like
TRR
(Trusted Recursive Resolver) farming all your DNS queries over to the
cloudfarce honeypot.

Have a look here if you want to disable it:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Firefox/Privacy#Disable/
enforce_'Trusted_Recursive_Resolver'

Thanks. That led me to network.trr.allow-rfc1918, which provided your
name has a dot in it ! appears to resolve addresses from /etc/hosts. I
guess that actually means firefox uses your local resolver first, and if
it returns an rfc1918 address, will use it.

Surely that should be the default! It shouldn't break a PRIVATE network
in the name of security !!!

It is the default here, in www-client/firefox-110.0.1 .

I'm running amd not ~amd, and I've got FF 102esr. As soon as I changed it to allow rfc1918, it started working ...

Cheers,
Wol