On Mon, 6 Mar 2023 08:24:35 +0000, Wols Lists wrote:

> > Do you mean /etc/nsswitch.conf?
> >

> Ah yes. Any idea why Firefox seems to ignore it? Whenever I try to
> browse to local machines in /etc/hosts, firefox gives me a google
> search page which is a bloody nuisance. If I type a VALID ADDRESS in
> the ADDRESS BAR, that's where I expect to go! Not some damn random
> search page!

I see the same with Chromium sometimes, as the same input field is used
for addresses and search terms and the browser has to make a guess at
which you mean. With Chromium the solution is to add a trailing slash.

--
Neil Bothwick

There are two hard things in computer science:
cache invalidation, naming things and off-by-one errors.