On 18/04/2023 18:05, Dale wrote:
I compile on a spinning rust
drive and use -k to install the built packages on the live system.  That
should help minimize the writes.

I just use tmpfs for /var/tmp/portage (16GB, I'm on 32GB RAM.) When I keep binary packages around, those I have on my HDD, as well as the distfiles:

DISTDIR="/mnt/Data/gentoo/distfiles"
PKGDIR="/mnt/Data/gentoo/binpkgs"

Since I still need a spinning rust
drive for swap and such, I thought about putting /var on spinning rust.

Nah. The data written there is absolutely minuscule. Firefox writes like 10 times more just while running it without even any web page loaded... And for actual browsing, it becomes more like 1000 times more (mostly the Firefox cache.)

I wouldn't worry too much about it. I've been using my current SSD since 2020, and I'm at 7TBW right now (out of 200 the drive is rated for) and I dual boot Windows and install/uninstall large games on it quite often. So with an average of 3TBW per year, I'd need over 80 years to reach 200TBW :-P But I mentioned it in case your use case is different (like large video files or recording and whatnot.)