On Saturday, 10 June 2023 18:00:34 BST Jack wrote:

> I have also had odd behavior with X and two monitors, but I always
> managed to get it working without excessive effort.  My most persistent
> problem was if the   right monitor was plugged into the primary output,
> reordering the monitors in the Display Settings would eventually get
> lost and require me to do it again.  At this point I can't remember why
> I was so against just switching the cables.

In my use case, it was related the user wanting a higher quality calibrated
monitor on the right hand side to examine and process photographic samples of
products, while the left was used to set up layouts and run usual productivity
apps.

> Final point - I still haven't found where the wayland log is when not
> using sddm.
>
> Jack

When you logout and return to the console from which you launched wayland,
isn't there some output showing what was running and any problems with it?