On 2023.06.13 04:52, Michael wrote:
On Tuesday, 13 June 2023 01:01:43 BST Wol wrote:
> On 10/06/2023 09:44, Michael wrote:
Without sddm, you can run the startplasma-wayland stanza from a console, do your thing, logout and the console would have captured various logs - just as startx does.

Does that actually work now? Last I tried I ended up looking for the docu, and found that it said that was a bad idea and not guaranteed to work. Certainly on my system, it just hung with, iirc, no logs whatsoever.

> Once I enabled sddm.service, it worked fine ...
>
> Cheers,
> Wol

It works here with Radeon graphics and Intel graphics (no Nvidia to try):

dbus-run-session startplasma-wayland

What works less satisfactorily or not at all on this laptop, is Ctrl+Alt+F2 or some other console and then returning to F1. The wayland desktop rendering is corrupted with horizontal tearing and flickering on the monitor. I can't see any menus to restart/logout. Sadly Ctrl+Alt+Backspace has no effect on it. If/when it locks completely the magic SysRq key combo does not work either.
Well, switching consoles was working for me for a while, but is now broken as described. However, typing Alt-F2 and then logout, then hitting Enter, seems to end the session, apparently cleanly (or cleanly enough?). I first tried "kwin_wayland --replace" but without success. I'm not certain if it needs some other parameter to be fully successful, as on at least one try, the screen went totally black for a bit, then the mouse pointer reappeared, but nothing else.

Due to muscle memory, dropping in a console is a regular occurrence with me, so I only launch wayland with sddm. Sessions started with sddm can be recovered, if I first return to F7 where sddm is running, then to F8 where the wayland session is.