On Tuesday, 5 September 2023 23:32:04 BST Walter Dnes wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 05, 2023 at 07:38:54PM +0100, Michael wrote
>
> > Have a look at this page which explains what you need to do:
> >
> > https://bford.info/cachedir/
>
>   Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!  That page explains that any random
> CACHEDIR.TAG file won't suffice, and why my attempts were all failing.
>
> This file must be an ordinary file, not for example a symbolic link.
> Additionally, the first 43 octets of this file *MUST* *MUST* *MUST*
> consist of the following ASCII header string:
>
> Signature: 8a477f597d28d172789f06886806bc55
>
>   Otherwise it wil *NOT* work.  This *NOT* mentioned in "man tar".
> https://www.gnu.org/software/tar/manual/tar.html#index-cachedir mentions
> http://www.brynosaurus.com/cachedir/spec.html in passing, which
> redirects to https://bford.info/cachedir/

IKR, it's as if the usage of this mechanism is meant to remain secret and a
test of the patience and detective skills of the user.  This is why I
suggested using --exclude=".cache/*" which works the same way - as long as the
cache directory you want to exclude is named ".cache".

The use of a CACHEDIR.TAG file works for any directory you want to exclude
from the backup, no matter what it is named.  If you have a lot of directories
you always want to exclude, then adding the CACHEDIR.TAG file in each of them
is a one time action.  Better than having to type all the exclude directives
in the CLI invocation of tar.

On the other hand, using --exclude=".cache/*" will catch any and all ".cache"
directories, wherever they happen to be in the tree.