Neil Bothwick wrote:
> On Wed, 11 Oct 2023 17:52:58 -0500, Dale wrote:
>
>> It only does this when I'm copying files over.  Right now I'm copying
>> about 26TBs of data over ethernet and it is taking a while.  Once I stop
>> it or it finishes the copy, the CPU goes to about nothing, unless I'm
>> doing something else.  So it has something to do with the copy process.
> Or the network. What are you using to copy? If you use rsync, you can
> make use the the --bwlimit option to reduce the speed and network load.

Reduce?  I wouldn't complain if it went faster.  I think it is about as
fast as it is going to get tho.  I may one day try to get a fiber card
to go between my computer and some sort of NAS box or something.  I'm
slowly building up my number of rigs so I can separate some things
around.  I got my old Gigabyte 770T running but no case yet.  I use it
for my backups instead of the old Dell Inspiron.  Actually, I found a
good deal on a CPU cooler last night for the new build and bought it.
About half price or so.  Reviews claim it is a really nice cooler.
Fairly good size with two fans.

While I'm not sure what is keeping me from copying as fast as the drives
themselves can go, I suspect it is the encryption.  I think for these
old CPUs, it uses more CPU time.  Htop with the meters shows the CPU
doing something but not exactly what.  I'm pretty sure it is either
encryption, LVM or both.

Now it's time for my weekly pokings at the Doctor and my weekly grocery
shopping.  ;-)

Dale

:-)  :-)