In this case, the offending package is dev-lang/rust, but this has happened to me previously with other packages that require a lot of space and time to build.

The build fails for any reason.  Since it has already progressed over half way through the build, I would like to continue the build instead of starting from scratch.  I fix whatever caused the issue.  In this particular case, it failed for out of space, so I added another G to the ramdisk mounted at /var/tmp/portageg.  I issue "ebuild path/to/package.ebuild compile" but it fails immediately because there isn't enough free space.  The problem is that it's checking for enough free space to do the entire build, not just to continue from where it left off.

I've done some searching, and found one old forum post which suggests to just temporarily remove the space check from the ebuild.

In this case, that seems to be line 236 of /usr/portage/dev-lang/rust/rust-1.75.0-r1.ebuild, which is "CHECKREQS_DISK_BUILD=${M}M check-reqs_pkg_${EBUILD_PHASE}" the last line withing pre_build_checks().  However, if I comment out that line, and run "ebuild path/to/ebuild manifest" another attempt to compile still gives the same error about not enough space.

Am I commenting the wrong line?  Have I missed something about where this check is atually done?  Is it actually possible to do what I'm trying to do?

Thanks for any pointers or suggestions.

Jack