On 23/03/2024 09:20, Neil Bothwick wrote:
tmpfs only uses the space it needs, so it would appear to the ebuild that
there is plenty of space, but it would only use and extra gig or two of
your RAM.

For me, avoiding tmpfs for big ebuilds is the least hassle, using
package.env.

I've yet to set my current system up with a tmpfs, but that's my preferred setup.

Iirc, my current mobo takes 4x16GB chips, so "double ram as swap" makes 128GB - I put that on every disk (I have 3 or 4), so I've probably got not far short of 1/2TB swap!

So nearly all of my build spaces, I would typically have a ramdisk of maybe 128GB.

As previously mentioned, it only uses what space it needs, so I guess with 32GB of real RAM, with most stuff my system wouldn't touch swap even with huge ramdisks being declared.

Cheers,
Wol