On Fri, 22 Mar 2024 16:32:28 -0400, Jack wrote:

> > Why not add more to the ramdisk, assuming it is a tmpfs. If it needs
> > more
> > than your physical memory, it will use swap, but that won't happen
> > because you only need the extra space.
> That's actually what I did.  The problem is not how to get enough
> space, it's how to resume the emerge instead of starting over, once I
> have added the space.
>
> It was initially set to 14G (out of 32G RAM) and I added 2G.  I suppose
> I can add another 14G, but that would only leave 4G for the system
> itself.  I'm not sure how well that would work, but I suppose it's
> worth a try.

tmpfs only uses the space it needs, so it would appear to the ebuild that
there is plenty of space, but it would only use and extra gig or two of
your RAM.

For me, avoiding tmpfs for big ebuilds is the least hassle, using
package.env.

% cat /etc/portage/package.env/chromium
www-client/chromium disk-tmpdir.conf ...

% cat /etc/portage/env/disk-tmpdir.conf
PORTAGE_TMPDIR="/mnt/scratch"

--
Neil Bothwick

Linux like wigwam. No windows, no gates, Apache inside.