On Tue, Mar 26, 2024 at 04:21:23PM +0000, Michael wrote
> On Tuesday, 26 March 2024 15:21:32 GMT Walter Dnes wrote:
> > I assume my system is already "merged-usr".  Current profile...
> >
> >   [12]  default/linux/amd64/17.1/no-multilib (exp) *
> >
> >   I just ran "emerge --sync" and got the profile news item.  So do I
> > update world and then update profile?
>
> No!

  Good thing I asked.

> Please check the migration instructions for profile 23 as provided in
> the news item.  You must follow the steps suggested in the order they
> are written *and* you must select the correct profile.  The profile
> you show above is split-usr, which was the default.

  Thanks for the clarification.  So my system is considered "split-usr",
regardless of everything being on one partition.  I got the news item
when I ran "emerge --sync".  My understanding is that step 1 in the news
item says "Please also update your system fully and depclean before
proceeding" so I should update world first.  Since I'm currently on profile
"default/linux/amd64/17.1/no-multilib" then I should migrate to profile
"default/linux/amd64/23.0/split-usr/no-multilib" as per the news item.
Migrating from there to "default/linux/amd64/23.0/no-multilib" is a
separate process as per the Gentoo wiki.  Is my understanding correct?

--
Roses are red
Roses are blue