Michael,

On Monday, 2024-04-15 12:48:34 +0100, you wrote:

> Why have you set your /boot to be mounted at boot?

Well, I think, I then just followed the Gentoo Handbook.  But I see your
point of saving time  which could be better used to successfully unmount
the "/home/" partition.   I'll change my "/etc/fstab" file  as well as a
few of my scripts.  Thanks for pointing that out :-)

>                             MoBo firmware can be notoriously buggy and is
> typically frozen/abandoned within a couple of years by the OEMs.  In
> addition,
> kernel code changes and any previous symbiosis with the firmware can fall
> apart with a later kernel release.

Hm, this sounds a bit like  "never change your running kernel",  doesn't
it?  But this brings up two related questions:

1. Why does Gentoo  not somehow mark  LTS kernels  either in the version
   number or in the slot name?  This would make it easier to prevent the
   installation of too modern kernels.

2. I'm building new kernels  with "make olddefconfig"  rather than "make
   oldconfig" because I thought providing default values to new configu-
   ration variables is a good idea.   But what precisely does "make old-
   config" do  with new configuration  variables instead?   Just leaving
   them out?  But what's the difference  between not defining a configu-
   ration variable and setting it to a default value?   Or is "make old-
   config" really the way to generate more conservative kernels which do
   not as quickly overburden aging motherboards?

Sincerely,
  Rainer