Michael,

On Tuesday, 2024-04-16 11:15:07 +0100, you wrote:

> > But this brings up two related questions:
> >
> > 1. Why does Gentoo  not somehow mark  LTS kernels  either in the version
> >    number or in the slot name?  This would make it easier to prevent the
> >    installation of too modern kernels.
>
> My understanding is the gentoo-sources kernels are aligned with the LTS
> upstream releases.

Right,  they use the same version numbers.   But you can't see from just
looking at the available "gentoo-sources" which one is LTS and which one
is not.   You have to consult "https://www.kernel.org/";  to get this in-
formation.

> The make oldconfig script will identify new config items not present in your
> old kernel config, show which is the default option and ask you to
> interactively select which one you prefer; e.g.
>
> SPECULATION_MITIGATIONS [Y/n/m/?] (NEW)
>
> The default option above has been identified as Y, if the devs have
> determined
> this is a safe default for the arch.  You can hit Enter to select Y, or type
> 'n' for no, 'm' for module, or '?' to read the extended description and help
> for this option before you make up your mind.

Bingo!  This is exactly the information I somehow wasn't able to find in
my early Gentoo days!  You made my day :-)

Sincerely,
  Rainer