Am Wed, May 15, 2024 at 07:08:11PM +0100 schrieb Michael:
> Hi Alan,
>
> On Wednesday, 15 May 2024 15:23:47 BST Alan Mackenzie wrote:
> > Hello, Gentoo.
> > […]
> > So I'm looking at getting an AMD Ryzen 7 7700X processor, and using its
> > inbuilt graphics rather than buying a distinct graphics card.
> >
> […]
> > As a somewhat tangential question, would it be worthwhile getting water
> > cooling in my new machine?  In particular, to reduce the noise it gives
> > off while building large packages such as clang and rust?  Or is water
> > cooling only sensible for really heavy users such as gamers?
> >
> > Thanks for the upcoming answers!
>
> WC will be quieter and more expensive than an after market air cooler.

Are you sure about the noise? First there is the water pump and second,
the heat from the air cycle needs to get somewhere, which is donw with fans.
So unless you get a big radiator with several fans, you just relocate the
fan noise inside the case.

I have a 10 years old i5 with a TDP of I think 84 W. On that sits a normal
(not even high-performance) tower cooler with a single 120 mm fan. At full
load the CPU draws around 50 W, maybe even less unless you do prime95. So my
cooler is basically overkill. But this allows the fan to never leave the
minimum RPM range of ~500…600 1/min and is unaudible even at full load.
However …

> You could invest the money toward more RAM, (more/bigger) case fans, a
> better PSU, monitor, speakers, a new car, etc.  :-)
>
> https://www.techreviewer.com/tech-specs/amd-7700x-tdp/
>
> Cranking up 16 threads to 5.4 GHz will produce some heat, but compiles will
> complete sooner too.

… the 7000X are hotheads, because they operate way above the efficiency
sweetspot just to get the longest bar in benchmark diagrams. If you reduce
the power target¹ in the BIOS, you lose a few percent in performance, but
get a disproportionately bigger reduction in energy consumption.

¹ The TDP of a 7700X is 105 W. The maximum permanent power draw is TDP * 1.4
(ish, can’t remember the exact details right now). So if you reduce the
target to 84 W, you draw a little over 100 W. That’s easy-peasy for a mormal
120 mm tower cooler. One additional advantage of an air cooler is that it
also blows air over your mainboard and its power stages. That’s something
you don’t get with a water loop and need an extra case fan for—IF you keep
the CPU on high load all the time which causes more heat buildup in the VRMs.

--
Grüße | Greetings | Salut | Qapla’
Please do not share anything from, with or about me on any social network.

The perfect diet: no breakfast in the morning,
in return forego pudding at lunch and then go to bed without dinner.