On 6/4/24 12:02 AM, Marco Minutoli wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have experienced difficulties in upgrading my system as a consequence of
> the python 3.12 update. I am aware that there is a "fervent" discussion on
> the topic [1], but I decided to keep my distance from those spicy tones and
> I hope for a more polite conversation here.
>
> Let me premise, that I don't want to question the decision of switching the
> default. I am sure that the people who took that decision did it for some
> good reason. However, allow me to make the point that the user experience
> in this upgrade was unnecessarily painful.
>
> In fact if you read through the colorful conversation on the gentoo forum,
> you'll notice that some well-known (or important to some) packages are not
> ready/compatible with python 3.12 on gentoo stable. FreeCAD and KiCAD are
> those important to me as I use them for my hobbies. Clearly I have really
> low stakes. Nevertheless, we can agree that there might be people using
> Gentoo that want to produce income with their systems. Therefore, breaking
> anything marked as "stable" with a version upgrade seems unnecessary on the
> user side.
>
> I decided to fix my system by sticking to python 3.11 and, as a user, I
> would greatly appreciate news alerting us when the whole stable tree
> becomes compatible with python 3.12. However, I am wondering if staying
> with python 3.11 implies that I won't be able to use the binary packages
> depending on python.

IIRC that has been discussed already, and it definitely seems reasonable
to give people some notice about when 3.12 becomes "default" vs when it
becomes "effectively available for everything".

It's very reasonable in the former case for people to be unwilling to
upgrade yet, whereas in the latter case probably no one will *care*
about staying on 3.11. :)

> In my attempt to fix my own system I tried to follow the road of having
> both python 3.11 and 3.12 and that resulted in an extremely long list of
> packages for which binaries were not available. As of today, binaries with
> support for python 3.11 are available. How long will that support last?

I am pretty sure the binhost is now building for 3.12 only, but the
previously existing packages that were built before the python 3.12
switch are still available on the binhost -- and will be until the
relevant versions have been cleaned up.

Possibly an additional binhost builder could be added, providing 3.11
binpkgs for people who are waiting to switch, but you'd have to ask the
people running the binhost that. It *is* running under a lot less load
now that 17.1 profiles were dropped, so there is that...

> Am I better off unmerging FreeCAD and KiCAD, using AppImages, and upgrading
> my system to python 3.12? As a user, this would feel really wrong.

Alternatively, package.use for all packages that FreeCAD and KiCAD
depend on, specifically, to add the 3.11 impl support. It will take a
bit of USE flag tweaking, admittedly, to resolve the dependency list,
but there's no particular reason you need *every* package to install for
both 3.11 and 3.12.

--
Eli Schwartz