Dale,

On Tue, 4 Jun 2024 04:36:41 -0500 you wrote:

> I read the thread linked to by the OP.  I just wonder if waiting a
> little longer would have helped.

Did nobody of ye all ever read news item 48, dated 2024-05-09?   It laid
out a three-step approach  which surely caused at least some packages to
be built twice  or even three times,  but it JUST WORKED (tm),  at least
here.  It only required creating and later updating a file in "/etc/por-
tage/package.use/" and then running

   emerge --depclean ; emerge -UD @world

for each of the three steps.

Dale, in a previous post you shared a rather long list of packages which
you classified not to be  Python 3.12 ready.   This list contained "sys-
apps/portage"!  This just can't be!  From my 1060 installed packages ex-
actly ONE package  required the  "python_targets_python3_11" USE flag to
be set in the last step.

I really would suggest  to take the trouble  and to do the whole upgrade
again as suggested in the news item.  Just to be safe.

Sincerely,
  Rainer