On Tue, Jun 4, 2024 at 11:40 AM Joost Roeleveld <jo...@antarean.org> wrote:

> Those steps do not just work.
> The news item actually specifically states that portage will "just do
> the update" if you have not set any python_targets stuff.
> I have those not set, but it fails on ALL my systems.
>
> There are also still over 280 packages that are STILL not supporting
> python 3.12 according to bugs.gentoo.org.

That probably isn't even all of them.  On Sat somebody pointed out bug
933383 which isn't even linked to the tracker.  I'm sure it would have
been, but I probably closed it before it got that far.

I don't want to be too picky as the core language maintainers have A
LOT of work to do, but part of the challenge is that it isn't very
obvious to a package maintainer (or anybody else) what packages
actually have problems.  It is obvious if you actually look at a
package, but many maintainers have a large number of packages and some
are co-maintained, and knowing that one of your 100 packages wasn't
updated yet isn't easy.  I'm not sure if somebody has a tool for
finding these packages in the tree, but some kind of reporting on that
would help.  Such reports need to be indexed to maintainers as well,
because getting a list of 1000 package names that need updating
doesn't help a maintainer to notice that they happen to maintain the
one on line 387.

--
Rich