Mark Knecht wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 4, 2024 at 1:27 PM Dale <rdalek1...@gmail.com
> <mailto:rdalek1...@gmail.com>> wrote:
> >
> > Mark Knecht wrote:
> >

> > On Tue, Jun 4, 2024 at 11:35 AM Dale <rdalek1...@gmail.com
> <mailto:rdalek1...@gmail.com>> wrote:
> <SNIP>
> Is the new way taking out what used to be called a northbridge or
> southbridge chip or both chips?
> <SNIP>
>
> Not exactly taking out but rather repartitioning. Much of what used to
> be in the North Bridge, such
> as the memory interface, is now to a great extent in the processor.
> The general idea of the
> South Bridge originally was to interface to customer centric
> interfaces like PCI slots, USB and
> networking. That all still exists but the interface back to the
> processor has changed with a lot
> of it becoming high speed serial specs which reduce the number of pins
> on the processor.

Well, there is a lot to be said about moving what used to be external to
internal.  It does result in faster moves for pretty much everything.
Moving data from one side of a chip to another is faster than moving
data out of a chip and then back in again.  I bet there is millions of
transistors on a CPU chip nowadays.  I need to google that Threadripper
CPU.  64 cores in the top model I think.  I bet it has a ton of
transistors in it.

> > Thanks for the info.  I was wondering where you were.  _-O
> >

> I'm still here. Just don't post much as I'm not a Gentoo user and
> figure I have little to
> offer until a thread like this comes up. I used to do chip
> architecture for AMD, mostly
> South Bridge I/O stuff when it was still primarily in California.
> Those are now very much
> the old days through.
>
> Cheers,
> Mark

Hope you stick around.  Sometimes things come up that are more Linuxy
than Gentooy.  LOL  I might add, I've read info on Ubuntu and other
distros that solved issues on my Gentoo rig.  Less so with the systemd
switch now but still happens on occasion.

Dale

:-)  :-)