On Tue, Jun 4, 2024 at 2:44 AM Dale <rdalek1...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I did some more digging.  It seems that all the LSI SAS cards I found
> need a PCIe x8 slot.  The only slot available is the one intended for
> video.

The board you linked has 2 4x slots that are physically 16x, so the
card should work fine in those, just at 4x speed.

> I'd rather not
> use it on the new build because I've thought about having another
> monitor added for desktop use so I would need three ports at least.

You actually could put the video card in one of those 4x slots if you
wanted to prioritize IO for the HBA, though I would only do that if
you weren't playing games, and had a lot of SSDs plugged into the HBA.
Crypto miners routinely run GPUs in 1x slots.

> The little SATA controllers I currently use tend to only need PCIe x1.
> That is slower but at least it works.

The LSI cards will work just as well in a 1x.  That is, assuming you
only plug as many drives into it as you do one of those SATA HBAs and
don't expect miraculous bandwidth out of them.

The only gotcha is that on the board you linked the 1x slot doesn't
say it can accomodate cards larger than 1x, so you might need a riser
and someplace to put the card.

--
Rich