On Tue, Jun 4, 2024 at 2:04 PM Dale <rdalek1...@gmail.com> wrote:
<SNIP>
> Well, there is a lot to be said about moving what used to be external to
internal.  It does result in faster moves for pretty much everything.
Moving data from one side of a chip to another is faster than moving data
out of a chip and then back in again.  I bet there is millions of
transistors on a CPU chip nowadays.  I need to google that Threadripper
CPU.  64 cores in the top model I think.  I bet it has a ton of transistors
in it.

Nah, think billions. I designed chips with millions of transistors in the
early 1980's...

And some of the newest AMD announcements are now talking about 192 cores
and 384 threads. I don't think they've revealed anything about whether
every core can run at full speed but they are quoting something like 5.8GHz
full speed so we shall see.

<SNIP>

> Hope you stick around.  Sometimes things come up that are more Linuxy
than Gentooy.  LOL  I might add, I've read info on Ubuntu and other distros
that solved issues on my Gentoo rig.  Less so with the systemd switch now
but still happens on occasion.

I have no intention of going anywhere, nor do I intend to interfere with
specifically Gentoo-ish discussions. I did comment about the Python 3.12
topic today because I just went through something similar on Kubuntu which
made me learn more about Python's virtual environments. In my case a single
library involved in playing contract bridge wouldn't install but it wasn't
something provided by Kubuntu so I reported it on Github and it was fixed
today. Worked out nicely.

Best wishes,
Mark