On 2024.06.15 02:38, Vitaliy Perekhovy wrote:
On Fri, Jun 14, 2024 at 04:54:09PM -0400, Jack wrote:
> I don't have any such directory. What package does it belong to, or is
> it a config setting for portage or another package?

Yes, it is a configuration of portage itself. There is an env variable
CONFIG_PROTECT that contains a list of directories that portage will
protect from automatic modification. Please check this article:
https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/CONFIG_PROTECT

You can query that variable by `portageq envvar CONFIG_PROTECT'.
/etc is the first entry in my CONFIG_PROTECT, but I still have no config-archive under /etc. I think the folders listed in that variable are treated specially by portage in terms of not silently replacing config files, but doesn't control save/archive.

A bit of searching found the wiki page for dispatch-conf, which includes:

Before running dispatch-conf for the first time, the settings in /etc/dispatch-conf.conf should be edited, and the archive directory specified in /etc/dispatch-conf.conf will need to be created (/etc/config-archive by default).

So it appears that directory may be specific to that tool, and not directly related to portage.